30 Mar Choosing A Local Contractor Is Important
In recent years there has been an influx of out-of-state roofing contractors chasing storm damage. While some of these companies do terrific work and have good after build services, there are many bad apples out there. By choosing a local roofing contractor you ensure that your project is done quickly and efficiently. Local roofing companies also tend to offer better warranties. For instance, we offer a 3-year workmanship warranty on all full roof, siding, windows, or gutter replacements. The Federal Trade Commission has a great article on hiring the right contractor for you. Click here to read their article. Below are some warning signs to help you avoid hiring a bad contractor.
1. Do an internet search to see if they have a local presence. If the company doesn’t have an office within 75 miles of your home, stay away from them.
2. Showing up unannounced. If you get a contractor calling or knocking on your door to solicit your business be weary. Most reputable contractors only see homeowners by appointment or via middle services like Home Advisor, Angie’s List, Houzz, or Thumbtack.
3. Check their licensing, legit contractors will be registered with your state. Also, ask for copies of their insurance and bonding documents.
4. Ask about permits. Some locations require permits for all types of construction.
5. Asking for the full amount as a down payment or asking for cash. Down payments themselves are nothing to worry about and are often required so the contractor can cover material costs. A good rule of thumb to go by is half down on the full project totals.
For all your roofing, siding, windows, and gutter needs, hire us! We are fully licensed, bonded, and insured. Contact us by calling 844-733-8693 or click here.